Friday, September 19, 2014

Novel update

I was watching T.V. the other day and "The Hunt with John Walsh" came on. Its like America's Most Wanted. The man they highlighted was a cult leader who is still at large, running and hiding amongst his followers. He is accused of rapeing 10 girls over a ten year period starting when the girls were thirteen. My eyes got big and my sweet wife nearly changed the channel but I wouldn't let her, the reason why was because the cult leader, Victor Barnard, was just who I was looking for my second "I am the shadow " novel. As  you all know I am currently writing "I am the shadow" so I thought I would give you an update.

The Shadow by  Joseph Baggs
I am the shadow Is a tale of a young man who suffers a horrible loss as he is the witness of his Mother's murder. Being nearly killed himself, he spent the rest of his young life trying to make sense of the attack while also blaming himself. To make matters worse, his Father was blamed for the murder and put in prison; to make matters even worse his foster family plunge him into the life of an extreme cult that operated secretly in acts of christian terrorism; which ends in mass suicide. Altho he survives, his mind does not, and as he gets older a shadow deep in his mind starts to emerge, attacking everyone who resembles the abusers of his youth. Contrary wise, the story is also about healing and re-finding faith, but how do you heal that much damage when you can't trust anyone, including God?
a sketch of the shadow by me

I have four books planned and I'm writing the first one as we speak. I am also outlining the other three. Here is what I have planned thus far.

Book one: I outline his abuse and we watch as he struggles with drugs and alcohol. As the shadow grows, the drugs can't drown out his memories anymore and he is forced to either suffer blackouts or go along with the demon that plagues him.

Book two: He finds peace in the hunt, but mostly remained focused on small scale abusers, while also struggling with the all seeing eye of God. When he stumbles across a charismatic preacher whose zeal and exuberance reminds him of his pastor of old, he joins the fold and finds himself in a new nationwide cult. His old ideas of God are challenged as are his addictions of old.

sketch by Andy Norton
Book three: Our heros newfound peace is shattered as a killer is terrorizing the midwest. The news is calling him the Prophet slayer, but the shadow recognizes the pattern as the killer of his mother. He is back on the hunt as he seeks revenge for his mother to redemption for himself, but finds a  connection to the cult of his youth.

Book four: is the conclusion of the tale with the shadow following leads that will give him the ultimate answers about the death of his mother, imprisonment of his father and death of everybody he knew.

I will continue to give you updates as things progress. If you haven't read the short story that inspired the novel click here

No comments: