Friday, July 5, 2013

I Am Shadows: pt6

The part where Hank is in charge



“My name is Hank Fuller” I say in front of the support group.
I am a fake and a sinner
“Hi Hank!” the group said back enthusiastically.
“I am a good person who just wants to live life, forget the past and be a healthy productive member of my community.”
I am the fist of god
“I am also an addict. Drugs, alcohol, whatever I can get. I had a…
Blessed
“…traumatizing childhood that I have been running from.”
Count your blessings
“I was in and out of foster homes for two years before I turned 18, then I received an insurance settlement that I've been living…
Existing
…on ever since.”
I deserve to die for my sins
“I receive this money in yearly payments and I have spent this year’s on drugs and drink and now it’s gone. I’m dry and hurting, I don’t want to do anything I’ll regret…”
To late
"…any more then I already do. I try to find work, but when I get the money I…I can’t help but…
Forget
“…spend all of it on my vices. I came here hoping that maybe I can end the cycle I’m stuck in and start putting the past behind me. Thank you.” I sit down while everybody claps.
The group leader (or therapist or whatever) gets up. “Thanks for sharing Hank, and welcome. You’ll find that everybody here is trying to run from something. When I drank I did so because my mother was a drunk and would yell at me all the time and tell me how worthless I was…”
Did you kill anybody?
            “…that’s behind me now. I know now how valuable I am, how valuable we all  are. Thank you for being strong enough to take the first step.”
            I look around the room at all of the smiling faces. I feel like I made the right choice. I had to do something…It…
            The oracle
            …said that I must do…something other than…
            Die
            I hate the oracle, I don’t know why I do that every day.
            Yes I do
            Although it’s a fitting end to the nightmares. Like a period at the end of a sentence.
The tears start again…no crying…just tears… they start and I barely notice them. Somebody gave me a napkin and told me that everything will be ok.
            They touched my knee… I nearly rip off their arms.
            I wipe the tears, and look around at the group.
Remember your training
            And I remember my…training… My mind wanders into the past and I remember…

            “Are you listening son?”
            “What?”
            “Are you surprised I called you son? I know you still think of those other people as your parents but God says we must put earthly distractions behind us. You are a son of Enoch now, aren't you?”
            “I…I guess.”
            “You either know or you don’t!” The hand of god says.
            David
            David moves directly in front of me and pokes his fat meaty finger into the naked flesh of my chest…
Training was always naked
… over my heart, it hurts. He looks me in the eyes, his are intense. I’m afraid and I look away. He flicks me hard in the face.
            “You look at me when I’m talking to you!”
            I look back, and he flicks me hard again in the eye.
            “You did that” he said “It wouldn’t have happened if you didn’t turn away. Never stop looking at me when I’m talking, do you understand?’
            “Yes sir” I say wincingly
            He stares deeply into my eyes, like he is looking for something then speaks “People are made up of two kinds, sheep and shepherds” he says “The sheep are all going to die unless they listen to reason and truth as spoken by a shepherd, do you understand?”
            I nod, then said ”Yes” fearing another flick.
            “When we look at people we can tell who is who by the way they walk and talk, through their body language. Do you understand?”
            “Yes” I said not really understanding
            I am a liar
            “Good!” he said never looking away from me “How far are you willing to go?” he asked.
            “What?” I said not quite understanding.
            Stupid
            He grabbed me up easily in his muscular hands and throws me against the wall, holding me to it. “ARE YOU WILLING!” he started projecting, not yelling per say but talking loudly. “ARE YOU WILLING TO DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO BE A FIST OF GOD?”
            “Yes! Yes!” I cry, he slams me into the wall again.
            “STOP CRYING! YOU WILL NEVER CRY AGAIN! DO YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS TO CRYERS?”
            I can’t stop crying.
            I CAN’T STOP CRYING!
            David, still holding me, leaves the room and enters another one where my sister is. Grabs her, screaming, and throws her into the bath tub, turning it on. Then he throws me on top of her pinning her down.
            The water is rising
If you don’t stop crying, you will kill your sister.” His whispers.
I can’t stop crying
The water is rising
“Are you willing to give up your weakness to safe your sister?”
I hate myself
I hate David
The water is rising
I try…I beg…please stop! I’ll do anything please let me go1”
My sister in drowning
“It’s your fault if she dies” David tells me “your weakness killed her”
Something turns off inside my brain
I’m weak, I’m nothing, be nothing…

The group start murmuring the murmur of a finished meeting. My tears have stopped, I didn’t cry though.
I killed her
I take a deep breath she didn’t die. David took mercy on her and saved her from my weakness.
She still died
Later
I get up and quietly leave. I know I’ve made the right choice by coming. I have to fight the memories. I have to be better, but I don’t know if I can…


No comments: