Thursday, August 23, 2012

Juice

    I thought of this short story after I wrote Eat Me! but  I never wrote it. I remembered it this morning and decided that now was as good a time as any to write it so.....enjoy.
   

     I knew something was out of place, but I just couldn't tell what.
     I was watching a show with my wife, then came into the kitchen. I stood there a minute looking around. Every thing looked OK, but I couldn't shake the feeling that some thing was amiss. 
     I walked over to the fridge; A thin tread of  thought told me I wanted juice. I opened the door and looked hard at the juice...I didn't want any juice...but a cola was a whole different matter. 
     I closed the fridge and popped the can taking a long draw from that carbonated goodness. my face pulled a face in reaction to the sharp fizz as my brain rewarded me for the flavor. I took a deep breath and looked out the window. 
    Life was good.
    Something was still off though. I saw my kids playing out in the yard and was happy to see how much fun they were having. They were safe, so that wasn't it. I turned and looked around the kitchen, the computer was on, was that it?  No
    The bathroom light was on, was that it?? No, I didn't think it was, but I was feeling its call now.
After I flushed and washed my hands I turned the bathroom light off. Then I checked my emails, turned off the computer. looked all around again then went back to my show. 
     I sat down and smiled at my wife, big with child, she smiled back and said.
     "Forgetting something?" 
     "Oh yeah! I said as I hurriedly ran into the kitchen and got my cola, returning I said "Thanks honey, I hate warm cola" 
     "Your welcome' she said "But... I meant my juice."

No comments: