Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Brow

      I stood as still as I could, but it was staring at me; the biggest uni brow I had ever seen. It was like a gruesome accident complete with rubberneckers. There wasn't a person that didn't slow to look.

      It seemed not to notice any body else but me, in fact, I think it waved at me. Just when I thought matters couldn't get any worse, it started to move toward me. All I could think of was Burt from Sesame Street and now I had his laugh stuck in my head as this abhorrence came closer.

      I didn't know what to do, at first I looked for an escape route, but I was blocked in by people and the isles of the store we were in. I did the only thing that any true survivalist would do, I looked for a weapon.
     
      I dug my hands deep into my pockets and strangely enough I found some tweezers (If you have a wife and kids then you will see that this isn't so strange; I also had two pony tail holders, lip smackers, a half eaten sucker and one Lego block) by this time the brow was closing in, so I pounced, and flung those tweezers around like a dagger.


      "Die, die, die!" I yelled as I started plucking with fear fueled anger."There must only be two!” I screamed in desperation as I fought with this disgusting foe. It fought back, and for a moment I thought it was going to get the upper... hand, but I persevered and continued to remove Burt's spirit from off this face...
   
"Oh?" 

     I thought for the first time. There was a face under all of that hair. Now I was a liberator, and had a different mission; protect and serve.

       I would be a liar by saying that the woman who belonged to this face wasn't down right pissed, because she was. And this shocked me for a moment, did she not see that her eye brow was only just one dark black brow? And that it was growing into her eyes? Why was she not grateful? Then it hit me. Duh! Some people just don't know when they are suffering.

      Its like Stockholm's syndrome, some people are so used to the crappy situations they are in (or created for themselves) that they will defend there own right to suffer. I know that this syndrome applies to victims of kidnapping, but don't we all kidnap our selves from contentment and happiness with our own pride or stupidity? Understanding that this woman didn't really know that she was suffering I became the bigger person and said.

“Mam, that was the ugliest eye brow that I have ever seen, so... you’re welcome." Then I gave her the tweezers. I took the shocked look on her face as a thank you.

No comments: