Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The fence

I have found that the first time I do any thing, that I am terribly afraid.

I remember the first time I ever rode a bike; It was far to big for me. I couldn't sit on the seat and push the pedals at the same time. I was in a panic that first time I climbed the fence to mount it. It was extremely difficult to try to pedal, steer and hold on to that fence at the same time. I can only now imagine my pure terror the first time I let go of my safety fence and rode free into the street, as that car came, and the horror as I over corrected and flipped that monster. I remember my thoughts though as I layed in the gutter contemplating my life "That was awesome".

Some times I think back at my childhood and wonder, what would life be like if the risks I took now were just as reckless as they were when I was a kid? I'm not talking about dangerous, life threatening risks, I mean for things that I just want to do but feel that I'm too busy for. I didn't seem to care about those things while I was building a grocery sack parachute, imagining myself floating safely off the roof, I just said "Well, now I know" while pulling branches from my pants.

I guess my point is that life is way too short to let a little thing like fear get in the way of living. Its time to let go of my fence again.




















No comments: