Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Irrigation

This is a true story about my brother and I. I was 19 or twenty at the time and he was 33 or something, so that was...1996


I was minding my business late one night, when my bro came into the room
He asked to find the bathing things like towels and shampoo
I mindlessly told him cuz I didn’t care, I was watching a show
He left, then rushed outside for a reason that I didn’t know
A moment later he came back in, soaking wet and  blue
He shivered and shook, and had a shocked look, and I asked "what did you do?"
“The irrigation water!” he laughed out loud “The ditch is as full as I’ve seen…
I fancied the look, so I jumped in that brook, and now I’m all squeaky clean!”
Madness! I thought, "madness I say! The water must be near freezing!"
“It was!” he did boast “could stand five minutes at most, but it was all most pleasing”
Silence fell out of my mouth for a minute or two
Then I said “This is something I truly must do!"

I ran out of the house with my brother in tow and striped to my birthday suit
I climbed in the deep spot he showed to me, it was cold, I gave out a hoot
He laughed and he clapped and I screamed and gasped
As I fought to stay in, to complete that bath
Every part that was loose, that had something to lose
Hid up inside from my ears to my deuce
Our voices rang and echoed around,
We woke up some neighbors and  half of the town
But we didn’t care this was too funny
It was a scene that most would pay money…
To see, as I frozen, did sputter and spout
And shivered to wash to so I could get out

Finally my mom yelled, "It’s 3 in the morning, the neighbors are calling!"
She stormed out, and the look on her face was appalling
Her two old-ish sons were half naked and nude
Bathing near a main highway under the moon
With people upset about the noise we did make
She went back inside as her head did shake
I finished my ice bath and my bro helped me about
With a fresh warm towel that he did bring out
The pain was gone, and felt refreshed like no other
It’s my favorite memory with my dear older brother



My second oldest brother Paul, may you always find freezing cold  waters for midnight baths.

No comments: