Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Honor, to those who lived!





     I have a freind who was a fireman on the front line of one of the most tragic fire related  accidents in Arizona History. While talking with him, he related to me the whole story from his view point, it was horrible.  As he talked, I realized it wasn't just horrible for the brave firemen who died, but it was equally horrible for the ones who escaped, or supported, or attempted the rescue. But after the smoke settled, every firefighter who survived, went back to work the next day. They went to the funerals of their lost friends and went to the tributes, and the memorials then carried on with their lives and very dangerous jobs. One comment, my friend said that haunted me was "I was there too, I could smell them, but..." He shrugged and moved on to a different topic.
     This got me thinking of all of our brave service men all over the world who fight a never ending fight to make sure the rest of us are safe. How many of us notice these servicemen when they have lost limbs while serving, or suffer PTSD forever after, or come out "unscathed" but suffer indignant protagonists who would criticize their service rather then thank them?
     After My friend told me his tale I had a dream of a monument that was built in stone honoring the "parts" of our service men who survived, that didn't survive; I woke up and wrote this.



To the ones who fought the fight and stand so strong and brave.
Who didn’t budge 'gainst adversity, and ground they never gave.
Who bare the weight of tragedy since they left the field.
Yet turn to fight again! Though they go unhealed.

To the ones who lived that day, when life was put upon the line.
When death wandered down the path and creeped up on the spine.
And took the breath of many souls who were thick within the fray
And robbed hope from the ones who walked away that day.

To the ones who get up and tie once more their boots
To go unnoticed to heroic jobs, standing up to more abuse
Then crash at night, glad to be alive, and survived another day
And toss and turn from memories collected on the way.

To those all who walk away, when their brothers don’t.
I salute you, every one, for doing what others won’t
Then I turn to the fires, and salute again, and shout!
This is for the parts of you, that didn’t make it out!

A memorial of thanks I send to thee.
To remember parts of you, you sacrificed for me.
Duty bounds you to continue forth, while you wear the shield
Let this prayer surround you, giving strength to heal.

No comments: