Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Gamma Radiation!




  I just found out what gamma radiation really is...what a let down.

      I love the hulk, not movie hulk, comic book hulk. He is mean and smashes all opponents but at the same time just wants to be left alone. I remember I identified with that as a teen, I had a really bad temper in my teens and it would flare when ever anyone "bugged me" I flourished in solitude and was content to be in my room and draw or write. my rules were simple.
     Rule one: leave me be.
     Rule two: don't touch my stuff
Breaking these rule resulted in what my mom called a baby tantrum but I called Hulk rage. (no one really had a problem with rule one, except a few, but no one understood rule two...frustrating)

 I put in an application to work at a nuclear power plant, and went to a radiation workers class to learn how to safely work in the contained area. When the instructor started flinging around the work gamma radiation and if it flowed out of the faucets I got got excited and thought as if it was Bruce Banner giving the class; then I learned what it was...

Gamma Radiation

Gamma rays are high frequency, very short wavelength electromagnetic waves with no mass and no charge. They are emitted by a decaying nucleus so that it can let out energy that allows it to become more stabilized as an atom. Gamma rays have the highest penetrating power, only being stopped by a few centimeters of lead or a few meters of concrete, but some may still pass through because they are minutely small allowing them to pass through the vast areas of space between the nucleus of one atom and another. They are the least ionizing of all the radiation but this doesn't mean that they are not dangerous. Gamma rays are likely to be emitted along side alpha and beta radiation but some isotopes only emit gamma radiation.

Gamma Radiation uses

Gamma rays are the most useful of the radiation because they can kill off living cells easily, without remaining in the substance and are therefore used to sterilize some food because it passes through the food because it is dead but kills off the bacteria etc. Gamma rays are used in radiotherapy to kill off cancerous cells. They are also used to sterilize medical equipment, which is particularly useful in tools that would be melted by sterilization or compromised by bleaches and other disinfectants. Gamma rays are also used to detect leaking pipes; a gamma ray source is placed into the substance in the pipe (water etc.) then someone with a Geiger-Muller tube above ground will count the radiation given off above ground, where the count spikes will be where the leak is because there is more of the substance in the ground there. Gamma rays are used because they can pass through the metal, rocks and other substances in the soil (1) (The Rad worker study book explained it much more complicated thank you John Jackson for posting this simple explanation, so I didn't have to)

...In other words BORING! This is not the stuff of muscle puffing mindless green rage, sterilizing food? killing cancer cells? sigh... sounds very helpful.

Also you can't make a bomb out of it (Hulks original origin) its a bi-product of fusion not a fuel for it. Best way it simplify it is the Atom is like a propane tank, radiation is like a leak in that tank, thats it. After fusion (or splitting) you have poked holes is all the atoms, and Gamma is the most common and least harmful... not not harmful but least of the list.

I do, however, know what will beef me up while exciting all my cells, a whole bag of Oreo's; which is just what this let down requires.

No comments: