Saturday, June 22, 2013

No blood for you!

Today rant comes from my son

 No blood for you!

     "Daddy" My eight year old, Bubba, says "Today was kind of fun, do you know why?"

     "Why son" I said looking away from the TV for a moment.

     "Because those nurses couldn't get any blood from me this morning!"

      I was taken back for a second, losing interest the World War Z commercial that was playing, and asked "What?"

     "Remember when you took me to the hospital this morning? and all those nurses tried to get blood from me four times?"

     "Yeah?" I said, fun not being part my experience of the matter.

     "It was kind of fun because it was like they wanted my blood, but my body was like 'No way Jose, No blood for you!' and wouldn't give it to them!" he pauses to laugh "Wasn't that funny?

     I had to think about this for a second. My brain did that thing where a billion thoughts rattled and clunked its way around in one instant, recalling the events of early that morning.

     First, was the onslaught of  stomach pain from nowhere. When my boy was writhing all over my bed. Then the trip to the ER, because last time this happened it was very serious. Next was the failed attempt to start an IV.
   
 He looked me right in eyes, while gripping my hand as tight as he could and said. "Daddy this really really hurts"
   
     Then the nurses debated a "good" vain on his wrist on the same hand, and a different nurse attempted the second try.

     "Daddy!" My son said through gritted teeth, trying not to move. "This hurts worse then the other time."

     "You are the bravest little boy I've seen here today, do you know that?" the second nurse told my son

     "Oh" was his only reply
   
     " Your also the only little boy I've seen today" she laughed at her own joke while they bandaged up fail number two.

     "Oh" he replied again. More concerned about his sore arm then getting her dumb joke.

      A third nurse comes in and softly tells my son that he was called in special to IV his other arm, and that he wouldn't feel a thing. Then nurse number two told nurse number three the joke she told my son while he failed to insert the IV the third time.

     Tears pooled in my sons eyes this time and said to me "Daddy they're getting worse, Daddy this one is the worst" I tried to calm his fears as best as I could and told him how brave he was, and to look me in the eyes, and "whats your favorite show?" and all of that crap. I also remember thinking why was I letting this happen, my son is in pain?! I need to stop this! I also remember being worried about why we were in there to begin with, last time he was"writhing" he was hospitalized for three days with advanced pneumonia! I was confused and torn, so I bit my lip and  let then try again and again and again. I felt like a crappy Dad.

      After fail number three the nurses told him they weren't going to try again. The doctor told us otherwise.
"Can we do it one more time please?" She asked him. she said they needed to run his blood through some tests to see what was going on with him.
   
     As freaked out as my little man was he said "Ok" Then hid his face in my shoulder as they  failed again. This time he screamed. This nurse was determined to get it right and poked again and again and again, using different needles.

     At one point my Bubba looked at me like none of this was even real.

     When they were done they showed him the little plastic tubing for the IV and said "See this bend at the tops of these tubes?" we looked, and yes they were bent "Your veins did this! They just don't want to give us any of your blood little man" she laughed nervously while patting him on the leg, then left us.

      I could hear the silent chatter out side our room about how bad they felt and how brave my son was. I was wondering where the hell the Popsicle was that they promised him.  After it was said and done the Doctor tells us that he had gastric-itis or something, that it's just like a stomach flu but that the real problem was that he was dehydrated from his throwing up! This is why they failed to get any blood.

     "Did you know this whole time?"I asked.

     "I did, but I just wanted to make sure, I'm sure now" she said then said a bunch of other stuff about how much easier it is to give the fluids though an IV when children are nauseated blah blah blah, then gave us a prescription for nausea and sent us on our way. t it

     All he said about the ordeal afterwards, when he told his mommy about it later that afternoon, was "Yeah they gave me a Popsicle when it was over, but I didn't eat it. It tasted like pain."

     What a crappy morning! But here he was now laughing hysterically over those dumb nurses that were foiled by his arms.

     Boy, if I never thought of my son as a Super Bubba before, I sure do now!

No comments: