Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Inspiration Rambling IV: Stephen King

                     How do I go from writing about my sweet Momma to writing about Stephen King? I'll Ask you a question with the same answer, How does a dog choose its sniffing targets? I don't know, I'm RAMBLING. 
                  I like Stephen king, I like how he doesn't think he's a very good writer. I like how he admits to being a sell out (I learned that from him) I like how he looks like a Muppet. I like his way of looking at the relationship between reading and writing, like its a form of time travel.  As you are now reading this,  I am just now writing it. Its about perspective. We are becoming familiar with the words at the same time, no matter the time or distance that separates my writing and your reading. At this very moment we are sharing the same space and consciousness. So cool, but those aren't the only reason I like him.
                       He is the master of horror...after reading most of his books the scary parts in the movies are not the scary parts in the books, (at least not to me) The scary parts are what the regular people decide to do. It's in the hard choices King makes us confront, he makes us look inside ourselves and asks what we would do in the same situation, that's scary. He taught me the secret of creating the scary element with in a story. Freddy Krueger and Jason is fine but if you want to scare someone, let them read about a boy and his dog lost in the woods who both give up and freezes only a hedge away from someone's house. Let the owner come out of the house and walk Five feet away from the boy and each dose not notice the other. Now watch the boy kill his dog to end its suffering and then attempt to use its skin as a blanket while eating some of its flesh...gross, and terrifying. He also taught me to not drag out my descriptions, he did that by dragging out his own descriptions, only Nathaniel Hawthorne and Herman melville are worse.

                        He made it ok to take your time in telling a story (he admits to being a Tolkien fan) If you haven't read insomniac let me warn you, he takes his dear sweet time getting to the point. He then takes his dear sweet time winding it down. It was 1000 pages of this old man living his life and ,slowly, having trouble sleeping until he see's the line. Then slowly getting his life back; mad genius. King is the only writer I know who actually wrote himself into his own novel a character whose part is more than a cameo,  describing in detail the car accident that nearly killed him. The end The Dark Tower has the most brazen, horrible, genius ending that any series could ever have. I could go on and on but I just feel like giving the man a vigorous standing ovation and crashing for a well deserved nap.


Thanks Mr. King


No comments: