Thursday, April 3, 2014

Imagination vs. Technology

    This is a bit of a true story, It happens at my house more then I would like to admit.





      The two boys sat on the floor playing their favorite game,  Minecraft: Xbox edition. One of the boys was two years older than the other one and was deeply engaged in looking for all of the music disks in the new tutorial. The younger boy was inpatient.
     "Lets play on a new world on creative" he said in a complaining tone.
     "OK in a minute" the older one said, not really listening.
     "You said that last time, how many minutes do you need?"
     "I just want to find one more disk" he said without ever looking away from the screen.
     "But you're never gonna find it, and besides you never play on your own worlds even on the computer, you only play worlds other people make"
     "So"
     "So, its not using your imagination"
     "Imagination is stupid"
     "No its not! Imagination is the best! You can create whatever you want. what's better then?  Huh?
     "Technology is way better than imagination" 
     "That makes no sense" the younger one blurts disgustedly  "Technology rots your brain, imagination makes  your brain grow, imagination wins"
     "That's stupid" the older one says "Technology is the world's fastest growing business, why would I waste my time with stupid imagination when I can be a programmer and make millions while you are just stupid and poor using your stupid imagination. Besides" he continues while still playing "Imagination is what poor people tell their kids to use when they can't afford technology. And besides, every poor person I know will spend everything they have to buy technology. And one more thing Imagination is for babies!"
     The younger one sat there a minute, quite, the older boy started laughing at him calling him a baby. Then in a flash of unseen rage the younger boy jump's on the older one punching and hitting him with his fists like clubs. "You're are the stupid one!" he yells "You stupid idiot!"
      He gets up and runs to his parents room crying to his father who is coming out of his room wondering what is going on.
     "Daddy" the young boy  cries "He called me stupid and is making fun of me because I said imagination is better the technology!"
     "It is " his father said candidly  "All technology is built from someone's imagination"
     "I know, I told him that technology rot's your brain but he said I was stupid."
     "Why is he crying?
     "I hit him
     "What?" his father says while rubbing his face "You know that THATS not ok, go to your room."
     "Fine!" the boy yelled as he stomped off to his room.
      He sat on his bed and wiped away tears, he looked around the room and saw his box of  legos and dumps them out. "This is better" he told himself "I  have a star fighter to build."

No comments: