Sunday, August 22, 2010

Our Sons (for my wife)



I wrote this for my wife after our dear baby boy was lost as a still born, he never made it to life but he will live forever in our hearts. 



I hold inside my mind, a thought of my baby sweet
I almost see him smiling as I imagine I play with his feet

He has his mothers’ eyes or so I'd like to think
And his fathers’ nose, that he wrinkles when I wink

His babies’ breath upon my skin, I feel it warm and calm
While lazily he drops his eyes from my lulling psalms

I've no baby here with me, gone with-out my grasp
I know that he belongs to me, I feel him when in prayer I ask

Then I think of another baby, in his mothers arms
Wrapped up tight in swaddling, that helps to keep him warm

His mother knew at birth, the price the babe must pay
For now, she'll keep him warm and fight the tears away

My baby left before I held, hers foreordained to go
She and I are kindred spirits, for the grief that we must know

Gratitude I'll share for her, because she was so bold
Too raise and guard the son, who broke the bands that hold

And one day when its time to shed the mortal veil
My baby will be waiting, ready to be held

No comments: